Saturday, April 9, 2011

George's at Alys Beach - Alys Beach, Freeport, FL

When I am traveling with my family, I am the lone - and often ostracized - vegan/vegetarian/organic enthusiast/foodie.  Therefore, I rarely get to pick the restaurants.  For whatever reason, my family fears anything labeled "vegan".  I don't know why they seem to have an aversion to plant-based foods when eating out, or why the mere suggestion of dining at a vegan or vegetarian restaurant, the idea of having a meat-free meal, sends much of my family into automatic starvation mode.  So, even though I was certain I'd end up munching on icky iceberg, I decided to go out for dinner with my parents anyway.

We drove just about a mile down the road from our rented home for the week to Alys Beach and stopped at George's.  Luckily, my parents were feeling flexible that night, so they said I could peek at the menu before we decided to stay.  I was excited to see vegetarian and gluten-free options clearly marked on the menu, as this usually means the waiters and chefs are sensitive and cooperative to food restrictions.  Once I mentioned my diet to the hostess, she quickly assured me that the chef would take care of me.


We decided to stay for dinner, so the hostess sat us in the small dining room.  George's also had a very large selection of outdoor seating, but the hostess informed us that it was full at the time.  While we usually enjoy eating out-of-doors when the weather is nice, it was a bit chilly out by this time of night, so we were alright with staying inside.  The atmosphere in the dining room was cozy, painted all white with large and colorful paintings of frogs adorning the walls (the theme of the whole restaurant seemed to be "frogs", and they had a shelved wall of cute frog products to buy:  t-shirts, books, small toys, trinkets, and souveniers).


When the waiter came to the table, he promptly asked which of us was vegan and was very patient and accommodating.  He explained the options he felt would be suitable for me, but also said that if I told him what I was looking at on the menu, the chef would do his best to fix something up for me.  I was feeling relaxed and reassured about my meal.  I took the waiter's suggestion and ordered a veganized version of their Spicy Lemongrass Curry dish (usually served with shrimp).  I also ordered a side of the asian slaw that I spied accompanying another dish on the menu.  The waiter said they could assure a vegan version, and brought it out with the salads.

The slaw was good, but slightly under flavored.  A lot of the flavor ended up in the bottom of the bowl with most of the dressing.  I'm not sure whether they had to make the slaw fresh for me, or if it was their regular offering.  I think it might've been better if it seemed more "marinated.  That being said, I did enjoy it, and it was a nice change from a typical house salad (and especially complementary to my Asian entree order).

When my curry came out, I was astounded!  I wish I had a picture of the giant bowl placed in front of me, full of thick, aromatic, coconut milk curry and plenty of veggies.  It came with a bowl of jasmine rice.  The dish was delicious.  Perfectly spiced, creamy, and the vegetables were not overcooked or mushy (which I sometimes find with dishes such as this).  I enjoyed every single bite, but there was no way I was finishing the enormous portion there in one sitting.  The waiter brought me a separate container for the curry and the rice, and I packaged them both up to enjoy for lunch at a later date (which I enjoyed almost as much as I had the first helping).

Note to non-vegans:  This restaurant has a lot of lovely options for omnis and has many interesting seafood offerings.  My parents enjoyed their meal and the atmosphere at George's as well.  They RAVED about the Dungeness Crab & Parmesean Artichoke Dip, so don't skip out on the appetizer!

Summary:  With so few actual options for vegan dinners in this area, I highly recommend checking out George's at Alys Beach.  Cute atmosphere, friendly staff, large portion sizes, and most importantly - accommodating and vegan-friendly chef.  :-)

Check them out on their website, Facebook, or Twitter!

Note:  All pictures posted here are from the restaurant website/Facebook page and are credited to the photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment