Saturday, April 9, 2011

Raw & Juicy: Organic Juice Bar and Café - Seaside, FL

Seaside, FL


Aaaaah, vacation!  Always a welcome treat in my busy life.  Vacation is always that much more relaxing when your parents are footing the majority of the bill (driving, renting the house, buying most of the groceries, paying for some dinners).  Quite honestly, I wouldn't be able to go on vacation at all if my parents weren't taking me.  BUT luckily for me, I enjoy the company of my parents and don't mind vacationing with them.  So, I hop in the car and ride down to the panhandle of Florida every year for spring break to enjoy the beach and everything it has to offer.

Just down the road from the house my parents rent each year is a little beach community called Seaside (famous for being the set of The Truman Show, with Jim Carey).

Jim Carey in The Truman Show, walking through Seaside.
Seaside is so cute and charming, and we always enjoy eating and shopping there.  Over the last few years, Seaside has begun to grow a small airstream community along the main strip through town.  There are a several of these shiny silver trailers along one side of the road, and it is impossible to avoid checking them out.  

Some of the vintage airstreams on the "trailer strip".  (This is not my pic.)
Much to my delight, one of these airstreams is dedicated to serving organic, raw vegan treats!  Last year when I discovered them, they were serving a few things, mostly juices and smoothies.  Over the past year, their menu has expanded.  They now have several options to choose from, all vegan, most raw.  From juices and smoothies, to raw oatmeal or granola, to yummy wraps (not raw, but full of vegan goodness).  


We arrived in Florida late on a Saturday morning, and noticed the farmers' market going on in Seaside as we drove past on our way to our house.  Once we got settled, we decided to head back to Seaside and check out the market.  Since we'd been in the car for hours upon hours and I hadn't been eating well,  I was perfectly happy to stop at Raw & Juicy for a delicious and healthy breakfast (the others opted for a non-veg, non-healthy dining choice).  After stewing over all the delicious-sounding choices, I decided on the Parfait with fresh fruit, homemade raw granola, and cashew yogurt.  It was delicious!  The cashew yogurt was thick and rich (I couldn't eat all of it), and there was plenty of sweet strawberries and bananas.  The raw granola was a delightful complement to the other flavors and textures of the parfait.  (I forgot my camera in all the shuffle of moving bags, so I didn't get a pic of this).  I wish I could've talked my travel companions into trying a bite...but they were content with their heavy, non-veg breakfasts.

A couple days later, I invited my dad to have coffee/juice with me.  So we got out the bikes and rode the 6.5 miles from our house to Seaside.  He picked up his coffee, and I ordered a Green Goddess Juice from R&J.  While this very veggie juice might not be everyone's bag, I LOVED it.  It was fresh and clean, full of lots of greens, with enough lemon and apple to give it a good flavor.  Dad and I sat out in front of the airstream and chatted while we drank.  By the time I had finished my healthy beverage, I had enough energy to hop back on the bike and enjoy the warm sun and some tunes on my iPod for another 6.5 miles.  What a lovely morning!  I wish we'd taken more morning coffee/juice bike trips...next year!

Raw & Juicy airstream.  And yep...that's my dad and his coffee!  :-)

Summary:  DEFINITELY go to Seaside, DEFINITELY get a treat from Raw & Juicy!  Yummy and healthy...guilt-free vacation dining!

Raw & Juicy is still working on their website, but you can also find them on Facebook or keep up with them on their blog.  You can also send them an e-mail (jlkuntz@mac.com) and order their raw granola and/or kale chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment